Appalachian Spring Conference 2014
Time and Place: Saturday, April 12th, 2014, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
Appalachian Spring - Ninth Annual Conference in World History and Economics
This conference is an interdisciplinary meeting aimed at bringing together scholars from Appalachian State University (Boone, NC) with scholars from other universities in North Carolina, the surrounding states, and abroad. We have already hosted eight of these meetings in the past, which have been very successful. Our past keynote speakers have included Philip Hoffman, John Wallis, Jeremy Black, Peter Lindert, and Price Fishback. This years speaker will be Dr. Mark Harrison, Professor of Economics, University of Warwick (UK); a world-renowned scholar of Russian economic history and government capactiy for violence. We will also feature 5-6 panels with scholarly papers, divided amoung different topical themes, including an undergraduate and a graduate panel. This year's theme will be Defense, Security, and the Economy. The paper of panel proposals do not have to be directly tied to the conference theme, although papers fitting with theme will be given special consideration.
The conference will take place on April 12, 2014, on the Appalachian State University campus, Boone, in the beautiful North Carolina mountains. Those interested in participating should let the organizers know by February 1, 2014. A one-page abstract describing the scholar's proposal should be submitted to the organizers by that date. A full paper will be expected by the organizers by March 1, 2014. There is only a modest registration fee (regular: $75; (graduate) students: $30; ASU faculty and students: free). Register now.
- The conference will be held in Raley Hall on the campus of Appalachian State University in scenic Boone, North Carolina on April 12, 2014.
- Registration for the conference should be completed by April 1st and is now available via the following link: http://tinyurl.com/WHE2014. A small block of rooms have been reserved at the Comfort Suites of Boone at a special rate of $65.90 per night. To get the conference rate, reserve your room by April 1st and mention Appalachian Spring Conference.
- If you have some issue with timing of presentation, we will see what we can do, but with limited space and time those requests are much more difficult to accommodate.
- We will be having a book sale of the books on display by the publishers. They will be on greatly reduced prices and the money will go towards this and future conferences. Credit, check or cash will be accepted.
- The format of the conference is as follows: Each presenter will have 15 minutes to present their work. Each paper will have a discussant who will have 5 minutes to offer comments on the full paper which will be provided as soon as we have received the papers. Finally, time will be allotted (20-30 minutes) at the end of the session for questions and discussion from the audience.
The organizers cannot provide funding for accommodations or travel expenses. We offer meals to the participants during the meeting at reduced cost in addition to the registration fee.
Hotel rates are $65.90 for both weekday and weekend. Let Adriona Hurley know you are with the World History & Economic Conference, April 12th to receive the discounted rate. This special rate only available via phone reservation by calling Comfort Suites at 1-828-268-0283.